Oh me oh my. Happy half-birthday, my dear!
So many changes have taken place even in just the past month. The development from three months on is just crazy!
Since I always have so much to say about sleep and other moms always seem to want to know, sleep gets its own category now.
Since about four months, I mentioned our lovely sleep regression period that seemed like it would never end. Sleep has just been all over the place but is getting better. Right at about five months, she just suddenly started sleeping through the night or only having one very short wake up.
When that happened, day naps completely fell apart. She basically had a “nap strike” for two weeks. Some days, she napped 20 minutes the ENTIRE day and was just fussing and tired almost all day. She used to nap anywhere from 3-5 hours a day before, so this was very hard for me to get used to. I would have almost traded getting up three times a night than have a cranky baby for 16+ hours!
Naps are still not all there yet, but we are slowly building back to it. I’m sure that by next month though, sleep will take a major change if she starts crawling or teething for real. I’ve heard those can also cause sleep disturbances – yay! She did have a night where she slept 10 hours straight, got up to nurse and then slept another 2.5 hours. That was pretty awesome! For now, night sleep seems to be pretty good but it isn’t always consistent.
Some new developments for Claire this month:
- has been very clingy lately. Sometimes we are having hour+ nursing sessions again because she just wants to be on me. She has not been content if I put her down in anything – the swing, play mat, or excersaucer so we have been doing a lot of baby wearing around the house lately and out
- eating more solid food. She has now tried carrots, butternut squash, green beans, chicken, pears, bananas, and strawberries. She actually opens her mouth for food now when she likes it and is not fighting the spoon!
- able to put her wubbanub back in by herself now! The other day when I was on a run with her, her wubba was in a little pocket, not even near her. Next thing I know, I look down and see her sucking on it. Pretty cool!
- loves to bear weight on her legs and practice standing. If we hold her hands, she can do all the standing herself, albeit being pretty wobbly
- same thing with sitting up. I thought she’d be closer to sitting by herself than she is, but we’re still working on it
- figured out how to jump up and down in the excersaucer
- starting to show fear to some things. I was nursing her the other day and a fire truck drove by outside with the siren on. You should have seen the look on her face! HUGE sad face. It was adorable and sad at the same time
- started moving legs around when on her belly, like she’s going to figure out crawling. I don’t see her at all close to crawling yet, but I have this feeling that once she does figure it out, crawling and getting around will happen very quickly! I’m scared.
- very whiny now and I don’t really know where this comes from. Sometimes she makes whiny sounds all day
- can hold her bottle up herself now, sometimes
My sweet, girl! I can’t believe how just six short months ago she was a six pound newborn and how in six short months she could be a walking, talking little girl!
No questions today – have a great Friday!