It’s a snow day here for me in New England!
Last night after dinner, my husband got a call that his office was closed but I hadn’t. I went to bed rather bummed, but in the back of my mind, I knew there was no way I could be going to work tomorrow.
I got a call early this morning that my office is closed too. Three day weekend? I’ll take it!
I woke up with a craving for Starbucks and proceeded to wonder if Starbucks would be open today. But there’s just no way I can venture out of my house on a day like today, so I decided to make my own.
Snowy Day Peppermint Mocha
I call this snowy day peppermint mocha because is there really anything better than a peppermint mocha on a crisp winter day when those big flaky snow flakes are falling so serenely? Have I got you in the winter wonder land trance yet? It’s just the most ideal drink for a snowy day
And I may be a little sad that Christmas is over. Peppermint is my all-time favorite Christmas/holiday scent & flavor, so this drink helps me mourn the Christmas past.
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (I use almond milk)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. of peppermint extract*
- 1/4 tsp. cocoa powder (I used special dark chocolate Hershey’s)
- sweetened coffee creamer of choice
- 1 1/2 cups of brewed coffee
1. Brew your coffee of choice. I used peppermint bark coffee to give it an even more pepperminty flavor. No shortage of peppermint here!
I found the coffee at TJ Maxx and the peppermint extract is from Trader Joe’s. It is by far the best extract I’ve ever had – so strong!
2. Add milk, peppermint extract, and cocoa powder together in a small pot. Bring to just below a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the cocoa powder.
I also added a dash of coffee creamer (Coffee Mate Pure Bliss in Vanilla) for a little extra sweetness since the cocoa powder is bitter. I don’t like my coffee particularly sweet though, so if you would like it sweeter, add some raw honey to your liking.
3. Froth the milk mixture in the blender or with a milk frother (I really need to buy one of these someday).
4. Pour the milk mixture and brewed coffee in a mug at the same time to mix well without stirring.
* Note about peppermint extract: I used 1/4 of a tsp. and it is very pepperminty. I like it that way, but if you would prefer just a hint of mint, use 1/8 tsp.
Now I’ll be enjoying the rest of my snow day snuggling this little guy
If you’re snowed in too, stay warm & safe!
Other Coffee Recipes You Might Like: